Tom Paxton

Jim Canna

17 Jul, 2017 02:01 PM

I have been listening to the folk channel on AccuRadio for some time now. I haven't heard one single song sung by Tom Paxton. I've heard some of his songs sung by others, but not him. Please play some Paxton, and not just the standards. He has a LOT of great stuff!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Denise Oliver on 17 Jul, 2017 03:40 PM

Hi, Jim,

I'm a Tom Paxton fan, too.

We do play some Tom Paxton on the main folk channel so I'm not sure why you haven't heard him, but I'll take a look at the playlist and see if we can add a few more songs.
    Thanks for writing and thanks for listening to AccuRadio!

--
      Denise Oliver
      [email blocked]

2. 2 Posted by JimCanna on 17 Jul, 2017 03:43 PM

. . . I’ll take a look at the playlist and see if we can add a few more songs.

Thanks! I’d really appreciate that!

Great channel, BTW. And so’s the classical channel!

Jim from NJ

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Denise Oliver on 17 Jul, 2017 04:14 PM

Sure! I did check and there are a few more we'll add as soon as we can acquire them.
    Glad you like the channel. And I'll pass along your compliment to our classical programmer :-)
    --
      Denise Oliver
      [email blocked]

4. 4 Posted by JimCanna on 17 Jul, 2017 04:16 PM

You know, as long as I have your ear . . .

How about some Chad Mitchell Trio?

Thanks again.

Jim

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Denise Oliver on 17 Jul, 2017 05:56 PM

Most of their popular songs are cover versions of songs already in the playlist by the original artists (Violets of Dawn, The Last Thing on My Mind, Four Strong Winds, Blowin' in the Wind) but we should probably include some of their recordings in Folk Traditions. I'll take a look at that.
     Have you listened to that channel and, if so, what did you think?

--
      Denise Oliver
      [email blocked]

6. 6 Posted by JimCanna on 17 Jul, 2017 06:29 PM

I started with folk traditions but I switched to just the ‘Folk’ because, for me at least, the traditions playlist seemed too far back in time.

And you’re right, in that a lot of the songs the Chad Mitchell Trio sings you play those songs by the original artists. But the harmony & parts, as well as the banjo & guitar playing of Paul Prestopino For those of us that grew up with the Kingston Trio, and the Brothers Four, the harmony & parts of the Chad Mitchell Trio is far superior. One other fact = Like the Chad Mitchell Trio, there are many, many other good artists who sing songs other than their own. If you only play the music of those who wrote their own songs, you’re going to leave out a lot of good artists.

If you do play more of the CMT, I’d suggest putting it on the regular ‘Folk’ choice, because they’re in the same era as those of us who choose Folk instead of Folk Traditions because of the time period we grew up in.

Add to your list of CMT songs, Blues Around My Head, Alberta, Mighty Day, Stewball And Griselda, Johnny (we hardly knew ya). But please, not Lizzie Borden, or The John Birch Society.

I appreciate your questions. It shows that you care about us listeners. At our age, it’s nice to have someone who truly listens.

Have a good day, and thanks for taking the time.

Jim from NJ

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Denise Oliver on 17 Jul, 2017 09:09 PM

Of course, we do play many songs by artists who perform the songs of other writers. Some cover versions like Blowin' in the Wind by Peter, Paul and Mary, are better known than the originals. I enjoy CMT's renditions of more traditional songs like The Bonnie Streets of Fyve-lo. Also Violets of Dawn, probably because I'm a sucker for Eric Andersen. However, it seems like their most remembered songs are novelty songs like Lizzie Borden and John Birch Society.
    I tend to de-emphasize novelty songs in general because I think they're less entertaining once you've heard the punch line, but maybe that's just me. Or me and you. Because if you check YouTube, Lizzie Borden is far and away their most viewed song.
    It's interesting to know you consider CMT to be compatible with the later folk while I think it's more similar to the earlier music. It's often hard to define boundaries in music and somewhat subjective. Some artists belong in more than one category. We do listen to people and will take your feedback into account as the channels evolve.
    As you say, there aren't that many of us who remember this era of folk music ;-)
    --
      Denise Oliver
      [email blocked]

8. Paul Maloney closed this discussion on 19 Jul, 2017 04:11 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AccuRadio please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac